A Thomas Maguire put a “French roof” on the church in 1447. The church was still standing in 1602, but by 1622 only ruins remained. The church was located near Enniskillen, and it was here that many of the Maguires worshiped, and were buried at. The road leading up to the church site is called “The Chief’s Lane” due to the fact that it leads straight from the Maguire’s castle to the church of the Maguires at Aghalurcher.
Devenish Island Chapel
In 1300 A.D. the original church was extended, and later a Maguire chapel was added to the south with several different 17th century heraldic slabs.
Clonmacnoise Monastery - ruins and old cemetery.
Clonmacnoise (Cluain Mhic Nóis in Irish) means "Meadow of the Sons of Nós". The monastery is situated in County Offaly, along the River Shannon and was built in 545 by Saint Ciarán.
Round tower and cemetery next to the Shannon River.
Located near Thomastown, County Kilkenny, Jerpoint Abbey was built in 1180. Jerpoint is noted for its stone carvings.
Carved stone relief - three Saints. The first figure is St. Peter holding the Key to Heaven.
- was founded in the 6th century. It has a round tower, stone churches and numerous very large tombstones.
Located in Connemara, along Kylemore Lough.
More to come...